Lead Forensics
Prettys Solicitors Ipswich

Family law


If you are considering a divorce, you will have many questions. Here is some advice from divorce solicitors Prettys, looking at some of the most important issues. We work with clients in the Ipswich and Chelmsford areas and across East Anglia.

My marriage has broken down – can I get a divorce, and on what basis?

There is only one ground for divorce and that is that the marriage has broken down irretrievably.  To satisfy the court of this, the Petitioner must claim one of the following five facts:

How do I get a divorce?

The person who starts divorce proceedings is known as “the Petitioner” and the other party is called “the Respondent”.  The process is started by filing a divorce petition with the court and paying the court fee (presently £550).  You will need to file alongside the petition the original marriage certificate (which the court will not return).

Should I tell my wife/husband I am filing for divorce?

Despite the difficulties being experienced, you ought to involve your former partner in this decision.  It is possible to defend a divorce petition by denying the marriage has ended, or denying the reasons the Petitioner relies upon.  It is quicker if your former partner co-operates with the process.  An agreed approach will be cheaper.

Do I need a solicitor?

Not always, but it would be helpful for you to talk through the basis of the petition to ensure it is correct and you understand what is required.  It is really important that you talk to a divorce solicitor about getting a financial Order if you are divorcing.

What should I do next?

Contact the Family Team on 01473 232121, request a call back from our team here or e-mail us here.


Legal 500LexcelConveyancingChambers UK